[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE can't multi-task

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:10:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

Is there as specific reason why Lazarus IDE stops compiling a project
when I open the 'Environment > Options' dialog? I've tested, and it
seems to happen with a lot of dialogs. Start a long running compile -
but don't dare open any dialogs in Lazarus IDE, otherwise the compile
freezes. Close the dialogs and the compiling continues. I've tested this
on a 32-bit and 64-bit machine, and on Linux and Mac OS X. Any no, it's
not just the screen refresh that doesn't update - the compiling
physically pauses until the dialog closes. ie: hard-drive activity stops
too.

Is this by design, or just another bug? I would imagine with todays
multi-processor and multi-core systems, software should at least be able
to do two or more things at once.

NOTE:
MSEide has no problem with compiling in the background (neither has my
experimental IDE), so it can't be a FPC limitation, but rather something
specific to Lazarus IDE.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/