[Lazarus] When debugging, it open multiple copies of the same file

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jun 6 13:02:41 CEST 2011

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:31:15 +0200
> Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/06/2011 12:10, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe you use symlinks?
>>
>> Ah, I do have some directory symlinks - never file symlinks though.
>> eg:
>>
>>   $HOME/prog/3rdParty/onguard/        ->   /opt/git/onguard.git/
>>   $HOME/prog/3rdParty/tiOPF2/Source/  ->   /opt/git/tiopf_svn.git/
>>

>> I always reference the files inside the 3rdParty/* directories, never
>> the symlink target location (/opt/git/*). So I guess Lazarus IDE doesn't
>> work too well with symlink'd directories then. I guess I can shuffle my
>> directories around and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for the hint.
>
> Lazarus is mostly symlink agnostic. For example /A/unit1.pas
> and /B/unit1.pas are different files, even though they may be the same
> through symlinks. This is needed, because all search paths are relative.

Isn't it planned to make references to used packages absolute ?
Or better, is there a reason why you would not make them absolute ?
To me, it makes no sense to refer to external packages using relative
references. I often have problems because of symlinks.

I can understand that within a package/project you use relative references;
you can then move a package/project, and it will continue to work.

But when moving one package, any link to it will be broken,
whether it is relative or absolute. Since an absolute link
avoids symlink problems, their use seems preferable to me.

Michael.