[Lazarus] Compile and Build menu entries, Run- or Project-menu?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jun 20 14:13:54 CEST 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:45:08 +0200 (CEST)
michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Juha Manninen wrote:
>
> > I changed the Run menu item order based on issue:
> > 19580: The run menu does not have run as first entry
> >
> > I would need your opinions about if Compile and Build menu entries should be
> > moved from Run- to Project-menu.
>
> No, please keep them in 'Run'. This is delphi compatible.
> And as you point out, the run menu logically groups everything related to
> building/running.

Makes sense.

On the other hand, eventually the IDE might get menu items like other
IDEs for multiple run parameters (run as, run history), extra menu items
for debugging stuff, etc. Then the run menu might get quite big.

How does Delphi run a group of projects?

> But why not make a package that allows editing/customizing the menu ?

Yes.
The educationlaz package has already an option frame to hide menu
items. But its target audience are teachers, not programmers, so the
front end will be kept simple / not very detailed.

> If made properly, it could even be used for end-user projects.

Mattias