[Lazarus] Compile and Build menu entries, Run- or Project-menu?

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jun 20 14:23:08 CEST 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:45:08 +0200 (CEST)
> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Juha Manninen wrote:
>>
>>> I changed the Run menu item order based on issue:
>>> 19580: The run menu does not have run as first entry
>>>
>>> I would need your opinions about if Compile and Build menu entries should be
>>> moved from Run- to Project-menu.
>>
>> No, please keep them in 'Run'. This is delphi compatible.
>> And as you point out, the run menu logically groups everything related to
>> building/running.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> On the other hand, eventually the IDE might get menu items like other
> IDEs for multiple run parameters (run as, run history), extra menu items
> for debugging stuff, etc. Then the run menu might get quite big.

Otherwise the 'project' menu will get quite big.
Specially if 'multiple projects' is implemented.

> How does Delphi run a group of projects?

It doesn't, to my knowledge. If you start one, it stops the previous one ?
(I haven't tested that in XE, though)

>> But why not make a package that allows editing/customizing the menu ?
>
> Yes.
> The educationlaz package has already an option frame to hide menu
> items. But its target audience are teachers, not programmers, so the
> front end will be kept simple / not very detailed.

I think that this is more the way to go. The default is good as it is,
and people are used to it.

Michael.