[Lazarus] How to use Lazrus IDE as a test case?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 24 18:07:05 CEST 2011

Currently I want to modify a component, that also is used in the IDE.
Consequently I want to use the IDE as a test case, covering many issues
not found in simple test programs. Now I ran into a strange problem:

When I want to debug Lazarus.lpi, it seems to behave properly, but when
I then rebuild the IDE, it exposes a different behaviour, e.g. hangs on
startup :-(

I already tried to rebuild the IDE *without* making it the new
Lazarus.exe, but even then Lazarus.lpi behaves differently from
Lazarus.new.exe :-(

What can I do, to debug Lazarus.new.exe or equivalent?

BTW, where has gone "Build IDE *with* packages"?

DoDi