[Lazarus] Absolute paths on different platforms

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 23:39:03 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:37:02 +0400
> Max Vlasov <max.vlasov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I found that Lazarus does a great job when one uses the same lpi/lpk
>> on different platforms. I currently have one question. If a path for
>> example to some library folder is absolute, I get obvious
>> non-existence error with a text "...contains a non-existing directory"...
>
> Because linker paths are normally machine dependent, you can add
> them to your fpc.cfg.

Mattias, interesting trick, thanks.

> About warnings:
> The IDE should warn about strange settings after you have
> changed them or when someone else uses your package/project the first
> time. The latter case is not that easy to find out, so this is not
> really implemented.
> Just clicking ok when you have not changed a path should not give a
> warning.

Yes, I thought it would tell me every time, but actually Lazarus only
asks when I did something with the paths. My wrong impression was
based on the fact that it warns twice, first time in the paths editor,
second time - when I press ok in the project options dialog.

> About ignoring absolute paths:
> Wrong search paths is the top reason for frequently asked questions.
> That's why the warnings are there and the number of such questions have
> dropped since these were added. We should not ignore absolute paths
> in general.

Great to hear it helped, interesting though that my impression from
Lazarus/fpc is that they know locations better that I expect from
them, I really sometimes think "ok, I know this compilation will give
some  _not found_ error", but it does not :)

Anyway, I'd better be live without a suppression check if it even
slightly help to reduce the frequency of the same questions :)

Thanks,

Max