[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE can't multi-task

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:02:40 CEST 2011

On 06/27/2011 04:47 PM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> The IDE reads the output in a loop using Application.ProcessMessages.

And that's probably the mistake - a bad design choice. But I guess that
can be contributed to the fact that 10 years ago, SMP systems where not
that popular as they are today.

Why not have a "populate message window" thread, which reads the
compiler output. This thread is launched at the same time as (or by) the
"compile my project" thread.

My experimental IDE (which I use purely as a playground for ideas) use
the method described above, and it works perfectly without pausing
anything - modal dialogs or not.

Thanks for the info though.

Regards,
  - Graeme -