[Lazarus] The perfect Linux distro for FPC and Lazarus development

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:07:31 CET 2011

Hi,

I have been using Ubuntu since its inception. But recently I found that
I have to install lots of extra packages just to compile a GTK2 or Qt
application. Out of the box, Ubuntu cannot compile and link a program
written with FPC either. Same problems with using Lazarus IDE, or even
trying to compile the Lazarus IDE itself. A similar problem occurs if
you trying and compile the latest version of some Linux tool. eg:
Flamerobin (a Firebird DB GUI admin tool). With the latter, I get APT
package versions clashes, or it pulls in lots of unnecessary dependencies.

I thought I would try my all time favourite distro, which I haven't used
in years - Slackware. I downloaded Slackware 13.1 (64-bit), and tried it
in a "safe" VM session first, before I committed to installing it as my
primary OS.

What a joy! Out of the box I can compile FPC, Lazarus and any of my
applications using FPC or Lazarus. I can even built the FPC
documentation because Slackware includes all the LaTeX tools. I can also
grab pretty much any Linux project from SourceForge and do a
'./configure', 'make' and 'make install' and it works!

So if you want to use a Linux distro that just works out of the box _for
programming_, I would highly recommend Slackware. It's easy to install,
update and configure. Comes with a boat load of handy HOWTO documents
etc. And most importantly, it comes preloaded with everything a software
developer needs to get their work done.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/