[Lazarus] [OT] About licences

Kjow antispammoni at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:43:45 CET 2011

Hi all,

I need some help to understand the licences world, probably due my not
English origins I have some difficulties to understand the terms of
various licences and their relating limitations.
Do you know a simple and clear site that explain all terms in few words?

e.g. (these are only explicative projects):
- Lazarus is under LGPL, I understood that I can use it to make also
commercial products without costs (of course, if/when I start earn
money I'll donate to community :) ).

- GLScene is under MPL, I understood that I can use it to make also
commercial products without costs, but I need to mention somewhere on
my product that I developed it with GLScene. My code could be closed,
but I modify glscene code I should release it.

- Audorra is under MPL 1.1, I don't understood the differences between
GLScene and Audorra licences. In their site is reported:

"Audorra is licensed under the MPL 1.1. Because this license is
incompatible to the common open source license "GPL", you may use the
project under the GPL or LGPL.
Please remember: When linking against libraries, which are licensed
under the GPL (like Acinerella), your project automatically falls
under the same license. "

What this means? If I use Audorra with Lazarus+GLScene I need to
release my project with GPL or LGPL licence?
(PS I tried audorra and it uses acinerella.dll to reproduce sounds)

So:

- Acinerella is under GPL, I don't understood very well what this
means... Using a product under GPL it must remain under GPL/open
source/no-commercial?

And what about other common licences?

An other question:

if I want to protect my closed-source software, is it enough to place
a my own "hand-wrote" disclaimer, or I need to register it somewhere?

Thank you,
Kjow

PS I mean only a legal-oriented question, not a moral one. I'll donate
for sure to all project that will permit me to earn money (if I will
:p ) and I'll mention all of these into credits and into the eventual
website. But for this I need to know how I can do all in a legal
way...