[Lazarus] Android and QT ?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Mar 2 10:04:41 CET 2011

> On 2/03/2011 5:01 AM, Razvan Adrian Bogdan wrote:
>>  we could consider graphics as part of the kernel but not an
>> essential part,

IMHO this is a (quite common) miss-conception. There are millions of
embedded devices that run Linux without any graphics, (here, the
hardware does not provide graphics at all, and often not even a
character based display). With servers there is no need to activate the
graphic stuff - even if running on a PC that does have graphics
hardware. So you can free a lot RAM for more useful stuff.

By definition "Linux" is just the Kernel. The graphics hardware of
course is accessed by a dedicated Kernel-mode driver (usually a loadable
module), providing a "frame buffer" interface to the userland software.
AFAIK, the X-Server (if used) is just a user land program, accessed by
some kind of byte stream (pipe) by the user land programs that want to
create a GUI.

-Michael