[Lazarus] The perfect Linux distro for FPC and Lazarus development

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 10:06:06 CET 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> So if you want to use a Linux distro that just works out of the box _for
> programming_, I would highly recommend Slackware. It's easy to install,
> update and configure. Comes with a boat load of handy HOWTO documents
> etc. And most importantly, it comes preloaded with everything a software
> developer needs to get their work done.

I've used Slackware a lot, and am not blind to its merits. I use Debian
a lot, and am not blind to its faults. The one thing that I would say
however is that Debian/Ubuntu do have a fairly well-tested mechanism in
place for upgrading libraries etc. when necessary, while Slackware- at
least when I last looked- has to be reinstalled which is significant work.

Once the prerequisites are installed, Debian isn't too bad- with the
exception of the Qt interface libraries which enforce a particular
combination of libqt and Lazarus. However Qt's overall future is at best
unclear due to Nokia's switch to an MS OS, and- in particular- due to
the immaturity of KDE v4 which I for one find virtually unusable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk