[Lazarus] The perfect Linux distro for FPC and Lazarus development

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 11:09:19 CET 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Op 2011-03-07 11:18, Henry Vermaak het geskryf:
>>
>> `apt-get build-dep flamerobin` will install all the necessary packages
>> to be able to build flamerobin from the source package. Installing the
>> build-essential package is also a must in most cases.
>

> The reason I prefer a distro that contains everything I need, is because
> my home internet (via mobile phone) is f**ken expensive compared to our
> work connection. So I can now download one ISO image at work, knowing
> that I have everything to setup a working development PC at home too -
> without needing a internet connection at home.

In the past I've run a local proxy which cached all files pulled in by
apt-get etc. However with the generally-cheap Internet connections in
Europe the software that did that stopped being maintained four or five
years ago. You can obviously also download a complete set of binaries to
DVDs, and a properly-configured system should then use those in
preference to getting them from a remote server.

> I'm not saying Slackware is for everybody, I just thought I would share
> my positive experience with Slackware, and how easy it was to setup my
> development tools.

Very much agreed.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd