[Lazarus] The perfect Linux distro for FPC and Lazarus development

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:57:12 CET 2011

On 7 March 2011 12:33, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 2011-03-07 12:58, Frank Church het geskryf:
>

>> How about a stock VMWare, VirtualBox, Amazon EC2 image that is setup
>> just right for perfect Lazarus/FPC development, with all the options
>> setup exactly right?
>>

> I thought about that years ago, but not everybody has a beefy system to run
> a VM session with good performance. Slackware is easy enough to setup, and
> comes with all development libraries that you need to develop with FPC and
> Lazarus. Thus, that is good enough for me.
>

>  Can you setup an Amazon EC2 image with all your preferred goodies, that
>> anyone could just clone and develop merrily after?
>>

> Is that one of those cloud thingies? I'm afraid the only clouds I know, are
> the ones that bring rain. ;-)

The cloud is much easier than you think and where bandwidth is concerned,
the only thing that travels down your connection is the output of ssh
commands or yum/apt-get commands. If you are in graphics mode, nx or X2go
will minimize usage of your bandwidth as well, much like Windows Remote
Desktop. I suggest you use a bandwidth monitor to see how much it will cost
you in South Africa and then decide.

You can build whole ready to go Lazarus/FPC stacks for different
distributions and all another user has to do is to clone it and get going.
If the user is familiar with Linux he can download the AMI to his local
computer, clone it into a VM, or onto real hardware real quick.

It allows new users to focus on development real quick then get to worry
about deployment issues later, and they can be tested and updated regularly
as new issues come up.

Believe me I feel as strongly about the lack of usage of stock VMs in the
Lazarus community as much as you feel about the absence of VC systems like
git or mercurial. I think the real issue here is a lot of leading
Lazarus/FPC developers are comfortable and satisfied with their computer
setup and organization, which they probably have spent a long time
perfecting, pre cloud and pre Web 2.0 and all the other new fashioned webby
thingies.

> Like I told somebody else in a private message, if the download size is too
> large compared to an 700MB Ubuntu download. Why not try your local
> university, library or Freedom Toaster. They tent to mirror lots of open
> source software, and you can simply bring your own DVD's and burn copies for
> free. Those options are available in South Africa, so other countries are
> bound to have something similar.
>

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -
>
> --
> fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
> http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
>

> --

Frank Church