[Lazarus] More menu changes

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Mar 9 22:37:49 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Hi
>
> other settings could go there, too. Scan FPC directory would go to Tools.
> Enviroment menu would go away.
> On the other hand some packages can register their settings into a menu. It
> makes sense to have one dedicated menu for settings.
> I would like to see the big Options dialog splitted to many, and have them
> under the menu. The menu could be renamed to "Settings" or even "Application"
> if it feels better.

Please leave the options dialog as it is. It works well.

One place for all settings is GOOD !

Often you don't know where exactly a setting is, but now you can find it easily.
If you split the dialog it into many, it means closing the dialog, going to a new
menu point, opening a dialog. That is simply wasting time. And for what ?
Because you must scroll in a tree ? The alternative is worse and will be lots slower.

Do not change things for the sake of changing.
These thing must have a reason, they must improve the IDE.

Michael.