[Lazarus] More explorations with tiOPF

Andreas Berger Andreas at TheBergerClan.org
Tue Mar 15 15:05:48 CET 2011

>> It still blows my mind why Firebird RDBMS isn't more popular, yet
>> half-baked ones like MySQL (and from what I can read SQLLite too) is.
>
> Simple: Sloppy work is a virtue these days.

I use both, so I will try to explain why I chose to use SQLite in some
projects.
  - SQLite is faster, MUCH faster, absolutely no comparison.
  - SQLite is easier to use. It's especially nice to be able to deploy
your app and easily create the DB at run-time.
  - SQLite is made for SINGLE application access. So my pascal program
will always read/write the expected types.
  - Firebird embedded does not work in virtual machines when the DB is
on a network mapped drive. I have tested VMWare, Virtual Box and Virtual
PC. (This can also be a plus since I use this fact to inhibit one of my
apps to be run from a virtual box.)
  - SQLite can be embedded without needing to distribute a DLL.
(Although I no longer use this feature)

I only use Firebird in one app so the user can create his own reports.
Firebird is a fantastic DB-engine, but has way too much for most of my
needs. SQLite is more perfectly suited for me.

I know not everyone will agree, but I am an SQLite fan.

Andreas