[Lazarus] fpchess

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:43:06 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Free Pascal Application Suite" [1] wiki page mentions the "Free Pascal
> Window Manager". Is that the fpwm project on SourceForge? If it is, I've
> been thinking of reviving that project - Gnome and KDE are just too bloated
> and slow. I would love to implement something like OS/2's Workplace Shell,
> but for Linux.

It's the same one, but now it actually works. I worked a lot on it in
january and november and some students from the University of São
Paulo also worked on it. It still needs a lot of work (for which I
don't have time right now), but since it works now, any future work is
made much easier, because in the worse case you can compare what you
changed and see why it no longer works. In the beginning it was quite
a problem to find errors since there was no base to compare to...

> Looking at the wiki page, and the listing of various applications. I have a
> Calculator and File Manager (Total Commander 2-pane style) and a simple Text
> Editor written with fpGUI. Could I add those with links, or is that list
> just for LCL based applications?

fpGUI based ones are fine too, please add them =)

> Does your fpChess program implement its own chess engine, or is your app
> simply a GUI frontend to other known chess engines (eg: Crafty, Houdini,
> Rybka etc).

Actually my main objective was playing via the internet, so the answer
is no. But for playing against the computer surely I would use
something like GNU Chess in the background.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho