[Lazarus] More explorations with tiOPF

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:52:43 CET 2011

Op 2011-03-16 19:20, Marco van de Voort het geskryf:

> (one should make a difference between using a DB mainly as storage layer,
> and a full transactionally-safe RDBMS. MySQL is traditionally mostly used for the
> former)

True. I can also argue that any project that calls themselves a
"database", or "database server", or RDBMS, should not just guarantee a
storage layer, but also what you put into the storage layer is what you
get out of the storage layer, plus the base line "relational database"
features one would expect from todays software.

MySQL fails on many of those points, and definitely has the issue of
'what you put in is not guaranteed what you get out'. I must admit,
MySQL 5.x has greatly improved in functionality and reliability of data
- but it doesn't come close to matching Firebird, Postgress, DB2, MS-SQL
Server, Oracle etc in features and data reliability.

I think the only positive point for MySQL is that for some insane reason
it got associated/included with the toolset "LAMP". To many management
type people only know the keywords or acronyms of the month, but not
really the technology behind them - thus they often make the wrong
decisions when it comes to what software to use. That's life I guess.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/