[Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Geoffray Levasseur jeff.levasseur at free.fr
Wed Mar 23 14:52:55 CET 2011

Le mercredi 23 mars 2011 13:50:31, Juha (gmail) a écrit :
> Hi
>
> This is not really Lazarus related but I found a Linux distro that works
> well without any tweaking and runs fast.
> I think it is OK to advertise an open source project when you see a good
> one.
>
> It is called Sabayon Linux. It has a good installer, too.
> It is based on Gentoo Linux which is rather a geek distro and very
> difficult to install. That's why the ease of installation and usage is
> surprising.
That's right I'm using the 64 bit version of Sabayon since September 2010 and
that's a really really good distro.

> Every web-page works without tweaking. Earlier I had to boot Windows for my
> school CCNA (Cisco Admin) course material with Java+Flash.
> Now even that works!
>
> Everything is faster than anything I have seen in Linux before. The reason
> must be the good and optimized Gentoo base. Even the Sabayon devels during
> chat didn't find other explanation for it.
Yes this is really fast. I tough the Gentoo base have something to do with
that as well as Sabayon developer's choice about optimization. Consequently
it's made for modern computers.

> Java apps that run from browser, like Runescape game, have speed equal or
> better than Windows.
> OpenGL apps and games all work super-fast.
> Earlier my son booted Windows to play Runescape (browser) or Sauerbraten
> (OpenGL) because they were slow on Linux. No need for that any more.
>
> Sabayon is basically a pre-compiled Gentoo.
> You can use Gentoo ebuilds if you need.
Yes but mixing precompiled binaries and ebuilds is not recommended by Sabayon
developers as the system may becomes unstable.

> It makes the system very flexible, but most users don't need that.
>
> I am impressed!
As me when I first installed it.

The only problem with Sabayon is the limited number of packages (but all the
usual things are here anyway). For some more rare packages it's easy to
compile as dev files are always included with all the libraries (due to Gentoo
heritage). That's why it's a very good distro for development.

--
Geoffray « fatalerrors » Levasseur
http://jeff.levasseur.tuxfamily.org