[Lazarus] FPC and Lazarus on ARM

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 14:22:01 CET 2011

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 10:37 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> e.g. an "ARM-based development systems" page referenced at
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Platform_list#Supported_targets_for_ARM
>>
> leading to http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Linux_for_ARM
> which in fact leads to
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Compile_and_Develop_on_Maemo_device
>
> which really shows how to get Lazarus working on an Arm-Linux device.
>
> I have no idea what is special about Maemo that might not apply to other
> Arm-Linux environments, so a more general  description could help in
> many cases.

I'll try and read through that but I was thinking of something at the
top level which emphasised that it was running on something behaving as
"a computer" rather than "an appliance" or "something requiring
cross-development".

>> In my case I'm using NSLU2 "Slugs", which are supported by a variant
>> of Debian- once running they can use the standard Debian package
>> repositories. I've made some recent progress towards getting something
>> running on some "PC-like" ARM development boards I've got, but I won't
>> have those up for a few weeks due to other demands on my time.
>>
> :-) :-) I, too have an old slug at home and did load debian on same. I
> fear it is quite low on memory for complex userland stuff.
>
> Completely Off-Topic: (please answer in a private mail):
> As I have your attention: I want do use the slug either as a ISCSI
> server or as an NFS server to provide a remote (backup)  USB-disks to my
> (Suse) Linux File server. In case of NFS it would need to support
> "device mapper", as the disks are managed in volume groups.
>
> What do you think ?

Well, provided that we don't get into "distro wars" I'm sure limited
comment here is acceptable to the list owners since such a thing could
also be used for local SVN and so on. I can't speak for the device
mapper but I've had no problem at all with NFS on a Slug running Debian
"Lenny"- just install nfs-kernel-server and set up /etc/export.

I think that the one thing I'd caution is that NFS is poor at handling
symlinks, and I'm not sure where it stands on locking. If you have a
server setup that uses symlinks or a client app that requires locking
then it might be safer to consider other options [waves hands in air]
should they exist.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk