[Lazarus] Off-topic: Debian vs Ubuntu

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:13:58 CEST 2011

On 29/03/2011 09:58, Michael Schnell wrote:
> I just upgraded form Suse 11.1 ... 11.3 to Suse 11.4 on several Desktops
> an Servers. I'm quite happy right now.

I used to run Suse back when 8.0 and 9.2 was out. Then it was a KDE only
distro (the only KDE distro I ever tried). I believe it is now a Gnome
distro (mainly), but I just had a quick look and see they have a KDE
version too. Any suggestion on which to choose?  Is Suse deb or rpm
based?  Does it have normal run-levels defined?

> Since yesterday I happily run
> Debian on an old small Slug to have it work as a NAS.

That's what made me think that I must maybe try Debian directly. I quite
like deb packages and the apt system (and use AptOnCD a lot), and got
used to the Debian filesystem layout/design from working with Ubuntu.
But lately Ubuntu seems to be going off it's rockers.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/