[Lazarus] [OT] About licences

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Mar 29 21:15:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:25:38AM +0200, Kjow wrote:
> > rest of the project.
> >
> > The GPL is different, and the ancinerella bit is a big issue, which would
> > make the whole thing GPL. (there are some exceptions though)
>
> Hi, I'm sorry for delay.
> So, if I use LGPL/MPL products, but I don't modify headers or original
> codes I should use they without problems in commercial/closed-source
> projects, right?

With MPL and LGPL you are officially obliged to donate fixes to the relevant
packages back. The (L)GPL with exception bit absolves you from that.

> About Audorra/Acinerella... how can be Audorra under MPL if the use of
> acinerella make the project GPL?

Because they are delivered as separate packages. The GPL is only invoked on
linking and then distributing it. IOW the one that does the final linking
(and the subsequent distribution) takes
on the obligations.

> Well, so I need only a my own disclaimer where I say that the software
> is developed by me, that they can't use names or logos without
> permissions and that advises users that they use my software at own
> risks, blah blah, etc etc, right?

Only if you distribute source.