[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Mar 30 21:01:38 CEST 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:

>>> I dare to disagree. A SVN checkout is writeable, and this is where the EXE
>>> is stored, along with the related source files. Consequently the config
>>> should be stored there as well.
>>
>> No, no and once more: no.
>>
>> This is a typical Windows user reasoning which is total nonsense on unix.
>> You should never ever leave a config file or an executable in a source
>> directory, it's plain wrong to do so. I don't know a single unix
>> application
>> that does this.
>
> Reality check, please!

I think this applies to you more than to me :-)

> Your considerations apply to standard installations only, not to SVN
> checkouts.

Try compiling any unix application from source (be that from CVS, SVN or a .tar.gz).
Then check whether it takes its config files in the directory *where it was compiled*,
as you propose. You will see that no such thing exists on unix.

For really configurable tools, you get a command-line option to specify a location,
different from the default /etc or ~/.yourapp.

Lazarus has such a command-line option, see the mail of Vincent.

Michael.