[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Zaher Dirkey parmaja at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 23:04:12 CEST 2011

You all repeat another discuses, while the end user like me, still have
problem to share him config espicialy for IDE.

The real question, without using command line how to share config file
between Windows and Linux at the same computer, (export/import it is bad
idea).
Let me point where is my config files.

And another problem u must care about it that not all config setting suite
for Linux if i made it in Windows

Why it is bad idea if i put head config file in the config directory
(whatever it placed) to forward the config dir to another one?.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org
> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>
>  michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:

>>> No, no and once more: no.
>>>
>>> This is a typical Windows user reasoning which is total nonsense on unix.
>>> You should never ever leave a config file or an executable in a source
>>> directory, it's plain wrong to do so. I don't know a single unix
>>> application
>>> that does this.
>>>

>> Reality check, please!
>>

> I think this applies to you more than to me :-)
>

>> Your considerations apply to standard installations only, not to SVN
>> checkouts.
>>

> Try compiling any unix application from source (be that from CVS, SVN or a
> .tar.gz). Then check whether it takes its config files in the directory
> *where it was compiled*, as you propose. You will see that no such thing
> exists on unix.
>
> For really configurable tools, you get a command-line option to specify a
> location, different from the default /etc or ~/.yourapp.
>
> Lazarus has such a command-line option, see the mail of Vincent.
>
> Michael.
>

> --

Zaher Dirkey