[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Mar 31 00:17:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Zaher Dirkey wrote:

> You all repeat another discuses, while the end user like me, still have problem to share him config espicialy for IDE.
>
> The real question, without using command line how to share config file between Windows and Linux at the same computer, (export/import it is bad idea).
> Let me point where is my config files.
>
> And another problem u must care about it that not all config setting suite for Linux if i made it in Windows
>
> Why it is bad idea if i put head config file in the config directory (whatever it placed) to forward the config dir to another one?.

You can place the config path wherever you want. See:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#The_config_directory

So you can use

    lazarus --primary-config-path=/my/shared/config/directory/for/lazarus

or
    lazarus --primary-config-path=/my/private/settings

This, combined with some windows batch files or desktop shortcuts, will cover almost anything you are likely to encounter.

The only point I was trying to make is that on UNIX (and only on Unix) looking by default
in the directory where the binary is, goes against long-standing unix practise and recommendations.
No unix tool does this. Not even when it is freshly (re)built from sources. And neither should Lazarus.

I claimed no more, no less.

Michael.