[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Mar 31 04:17:10 CEST 2011

On 3/30/2011 09:49, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> I dare to disagree. A SVN checkout is writeable, and this is where the EXE is
>> stored, along with the related source files. Consequently the config should be
>> stored there as well.
>
> No, no and once more: no.
>
> This is a typical Windows user reasoning which is total nonsense on unix.
> You should never ever leave a config file or an executable in a source
> directory, it's plain wrong to do so. I don't know a single unix application
> that does this.

+1000000

> Config files belong in 1 of 3 places:
>
> under /etc/myapp
> under ~/.myapp
> under ~/config/myapp
>
> If you want to support multiple configurations, create subdirectories of
> these directories, period.

+1000000

> Don't try to force Windows habits on Unix users.

+1000000  and lets see about teaching winwhatever users about this and how it
should actually be done... m$ has finally gotten some of the right idea(s) and
does, now, provide similar directories for similar purposes... ie: documents and
settings which leads to specific user directories with "local" directories
containing certain installation specific files like these ;)