[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 13:50:25 CEST 2011

Vincent Snijders schrieb:
> 2011/3/30 Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:
>> Can somebody please clarify the intended procedure for configuring multiple
>> parallel Lazarus installations?
>>

> Always specify the primary config directory, if you have multiple
> parallel Lazarus installations.

That's only the very last step. But how do I construct such a
configuration before?

> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#The_config_directory

Thanks for this link - as is, it fully supports my opinions :-]

  The config directory
[...]
The config directory can be shared between different lazarus.
[...]
<<

I wonder how this should work, when the abolute path to the Lazarus
directory is stored in the config (environmentoptions.xml), and the
loaded packages are built into the IDE executable. IMO the same config
can be used only for Lazarus versions, that are compiled from the same
Lazarus directory, e.g. for a debug and release version of the IDE itself.

  The lazarus files

The normal Lazarus is only one directory. Just copy this directory and
get a whole new lazarus. The normal lazarus can be downloaded as zip or
from svn. When you compile this lazarus all files will be created in sub
directories of this directory.

You don't need to 'install lazarus. But if you install lazarus you get
some nice shortcuts on your desktop and some files are associated. These
things are platform dependent and there is always only one lazarus
installed. The official installers do not support to install lazarus
multiple times. But you can add another lazarus manually quite easily.
<<

The first paragraph favors the "all-in-one-directory" scheme, and the
second one points out that only a single installation is really supported.

IMO this page deserves an update, to reflect the current state and
opinions of the contributors to this thread.

DoDi