[Lazarus] Lazarus config woes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 12:50:05 CEST 2011

Zaher Dirkey schrieb:
> You all repeat another discuses, while the end user like me, still have
> problem to share him config espicialy for IDE.

IMO the current config is not shareable, due to the many absolute pathes
in it.

> The real question, without using command line how to share config file
> between Windows and Linux at the same computer, (export/import it is bad
> idea).
> Let me point where is my config files.

You can do so, if you like, but nobody should assume that other users
will like it this way, too.

> And another problem u must care about it that not all config setting
> suite for Linux if i made it in Windows

Just my argument for splitting up the config, into something like
shareable IDE settings (layout, shortcuts...), and machine or
installation settings (with pathes).

> Why it is bad idea if i put head config file in the config directory
> (whatever it placed) to forward the config dir to another one?.

Forward to what/where?

Currently I have to locate the default configuration directory, what's
not so easy on Windows, and move or rename it, before I can e.g. install
another snapshot or branch. Then I have to update the desktop shortcut
of the previous installation, to use the moved or renamed config. For
simplicity I decided to have all my configurations in a cfg
subdirectory, in every Lazarus directory, so that I don't have to
remember arbitrary pcp pathes. This way I can backup and restore
installations easily, because the config is saved and restored together
with the Lazarus directory.

DoDi