[Lazarus] multiple versions and portable lazarus

Roberto Padovani padovani.r at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:34:23 CEST 2011

Dear List,

I know it's me, and I beg your pardon for this, but every time I try
to upgrade from a lazarus version to another...it's a mess.
It happened before, but today I tried to upgrade from 0.9.28.3 to
0.9.30 stable releases
Uninstalling old versions, always leaves something behind. For example
I had some packages of mine installed in the old one, and the new one
complained it couldn't find the package file (so it created a dummy
one). Why and how did the new one searched for them?
It seems to me that I cannot uninstall completely.

As a bonus, the new 0.9.30 has a problem with my toolbar. In the
office win32 pc I have a top screen windows launch bar, always on top,
that let's me be confortable when I am away from my Mac. The lazarus
0.9.30 menu bar keeps going behind it (like many other apps, also) and
even if I fix the position, the next time is behind again....somehow
not remembering the preference, which 0.9.28.3 did.

Generally speaking, why do I have to _install_ (in the win32 sense)
lazarus? Isn't it possible to have a portable installation?
If I compile it from scratch, set a few environment options and
register some extension, should it work?
The same is true for FPC, can it be portable?

Thanks,

   Roberto