[Lazarus] [OT/Readability] Re: Error: Generics without specialization cannot be used as a type for a variable

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:20:29 CEST 2011

Hi Graeme,
On 11/05/2011 07:40, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 10:38, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
>>
>> the below code is received as one long line, totally unformatted,
>> totally no newlines, quoted by Thunderbird, even in quoting I see one
>> long line (reader window wraps it automatically, thus becoming even
>> less readable...)
>
> Yes, that is because his email client sends each email as HTML & Plain
> Text, and the plain text is auto-generated, thus rubbish formatting. I
> also use Mozilla Thundebird. Peter's email was viewable on my side
> because my mailer settings in "View > Message body as > Original HTML",
OOh. that made a lot of difference ...

> but when I reply, I post as plain-text, irrespective of what the
> original message format was.

Yeah.So am I (or so I think ;).

> Very good email clients that don't try and screw too much with ones
> emails and formatting are: The Bat, Sylpheed and PM-Mail 2000.

I'd rather go on writing an add-on to Thunderbird that fixes the issues than
switch the mailer :))))))

> Even Mozilla Thunderbird mangles your emails even with the "plain text"
> setting enabled. All this and suggested settings or work-arounds are
> covered in a Linux Kernel mailing list documentation page on how to send
> patches to the Linux Kernel mailing list.
>
> Here is the link:
>   http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/email-clients.txt

Yeah seen that, and I have my settiongs checked again ;)
in my 3.1.10, send_plaintext_flowed was already false;
preformat mode, will see how it went ;)
(toggle wordwrap ext. I don't have time to look into about now...)

> This link just proves in what a sad state the emails clients are. No
> consistency and standards. What is interesting is that many text based
> email clients behave better than the GUI counterparts, in this regard.
> It seems Old School rules! :)

OTOH no mention of EXIM there ;)

Thunderbird is sufficiently old-school for me thank you very much ;)
(disclaimer: I work on Windows, and I have had lotsa trouble forcing my
office into using thunderbird instead of webmail sites...) ;)

> Regards,
>   - Graeme -

Cheers,
Lukasz