[Lazarus] OT : Wanted demo to generate and walk through a 2D in 3D simple graphics.

Peter Williams peterericwilliams at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:17:23 CEST 2011

Hi Kostas,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Kostas Michalopoulos
<badsectoracula at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/5/2011 3:33 πμ, Peter Williams wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi
>
>> I am looking for a demo in Pascal / Delphi / Lazarus (* preferred) of
>> generating a 2D maze and letting the user walk through the maze in
>> simple 3D graphics with lines (e.g. not ASCII) but using graphics. For
>> example, looking down a corridor it would be drawn as single point
>> perspective with a square and diagonal lines from the corners.
>
> My current Lazarus project is this:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5698454/rtwnb1.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5698454/rtwrksv.png
> (a brush-based 3D world editor)
>
> At the past i wrote this in haXe/Flash 9:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5698454/rf2.html
>
> So i probably have the knowledge required :-). What exactly do you need? Do
> you have a link to something similar? Is it like this?
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/mazegen/mazegen2.png
>
> (BTW that article - http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/mazegen.aspx -
> also describes a maze generation algorithm)
>
> Or like this:
>
> http://www.xul.fr/html5/images/maze.jpg

I was originally wanting to display a maze like:

> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/mazegen/mazegen2.png

but in fact it would be must cooler to render the walls like:

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5698454/rtwnb1.png

My application for this is that I have written a map generator which
is a digital terrain model program. It creates a map with possible
exits in 10 directions... 8 compass points + up or down. Obviously the
start and end points only have a single exit and the other points (or
rooms) of the island only have two exits.

I could have chosen with my program to expand every room (location) on
my island in all directions so that a player could move in all
directions, but instead I have chosen to keep all the original exits
as it is generated (only 2 per location).

My island generator has an option to save the data and it can be used
by a text adventure game I have written. It is NOT a Doom like game
where you go around shooting monsters, but a text game where you enter
commands with the keyboard.

I need to use a "maze" displaying program so that the player can view
the map as he/she moves around within it. Your program seems like it
would be excellent for this task.

Please privately email me to continue this discussion and I hope to
see the code for you program. Full credit will naturally be given to
you for the software. Note that this is NOT a commercial application
and is freeware and just for fun.

Best Regards,
Peter