[Lazarus] Qt5 plans available

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu May 12 12:20:50 CEST 2011

On Thursday 12 of May 2011 12:14:50 michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Michael Schnell wrote:
> > On 05/12/2011 11:11 AM, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> >> Hence the conclusion: a web application is probably the best way to go
> >> when developing business apps for the mobile.
> >
> > Do you mean: Using Android's  browser as a GUI and have it connect to a
> > server done with FPC and running as a daemon in the background and
> > accessed as http://127.0.0.1:12345 ?
> >
> > This is quite similar (but less powerful and maybe easier to do <for
> > simple stuff>) than the "ifi" way.
>
> I would not do it locally.
>
> In my line of work, there *always* is a central database.
>
> So:
> No access to the database (i.e. internet access) -> no functionality.
>
> In such a scenario, a web app makes perfect sense.
> And it solves the "which device to support" question as well...

IMO, better solution in such scenario would be to use web server than direct
SQL database access, since link can be broken at anytime, and app will hang,
but if it is web based product, web browser should say that web page is
currently not available.
We are currently making one Android app with eclipse , which connects to pgsql
via odbc and all I can say:
+ UI is pretty nice
- ODBC (jdbc) is bad way to connect to database, especially where many users
are connected, since every connection takes an "idle in transaction", so > 100
users on an database takes > 100 transactions, even if they are idle. This is
real pita.
- When link is down, app hangs .... yes you must wait until kernel timeouts or
kill your app.
- Deployment.

Web application:
+ It's web application :)

So, I think that such concept of bussiness application on phone isn't good ...
we are already moving to web concept.

zeljko