[Lazarus] copy declaration, with implementation [Re: Tweaking 'code completion' for event handlers]

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri May 13 14:44:25 CEST 2011

On 13/05/2011 13:31, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> hat am 13. Mai 2011 um
> 12:55 geschrieben:
>

> > On Fri, 13 May 2011, Martin wrote:
> >
> > > On 13/05/2011 10:03, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > >       Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> hat am 13. Mai
> 2011 um 09:48 geschrieben:

> work-around, is
> handlers,
> > >

> > > Not yet.
> > >
> > > I will add the checkbox for the implementation to my todo list.
> > >

> > > That reminds me of an idea, a feature I would like. And that would
> solve this too.
> > >
> > > It would be cool if one could with a single copy (or cut; as in
> copy/paste) copy a method (or procedure/function) declaration,
> including the
> > > implementation.
> > > Or even several methods, if one selects several lines in the
> interface.
> > >
> > > This would/should allow to:
> > > - copy/cut paste a method from one place in a class to another
> place in the same class (adjusting order of implementation too)
> > > - copy/cut paste a method from one class to any other class
> (adjusting the classname in the "procedure FOOCLASS.metho" line)
> > >   This one would hugely add to the ability of refactoring, moving
> things up/down in the class hierachy, or even to rlated classes
> > > - copy/cut paste a plain procedure into a class, making it a method
> > > - copy/cut paste a method to become a plain procedure. So this one
> still requires some clean up, for any reference to self
> >
> > I'm all for this one. A 'Remove method/procedure' and 'Insert
> method/procedure'.
>
> Good idea.
>

> > As long as it doesn't interfere with regular copy&paste.
>
> I agree, it should not use the Cut/Copy shortcuts.
> But I see no problem with Paste. Do you see one?

Not at all.
IMHO it should copy (or cut) to clipboard => but as indicated via
different shortcut/command.

It does therefore need a different clipboard format (a mixed one plain
text / codetool-format). The plain text would allow to paste into other apps
(SynEdit does the same for copy with fold info / or copy column-mode
selection)

If required, synEdit could get a callbackon paste  => so codetool can
check for the special format, and intercept it.
At some future point, I can provide insight, how this could even include
foldstate info.