[Lazarus] HTTP client/server components committed.

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue May 17 16:13:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 17/05/2011 14:53, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, nice work... but what is the problem about third libraries?
>>

>> Nothing per se. But having some vital functionality included in FPC just
>> makes it so much easier to get a new developer system up and running
>> (less to install and configure). Not to mention the fact that if it is
>> included in FPC, it stands a better chance of being maintained and
>> tested with each new FPC release. There are down sides as well... It
>> might be harder to get commit access to some code living in the same
>> repository as FPC.
>
> Graeme,
> OK, I understood... you're right in these points.
> But it's also reinventing the wheel, no?
>
> Sorry Michael,
> I like yours projects so much. I just want understand the real
> vantages in this project to migrate, eg, the Synapse can do same, no?

It can.

But then we must distribute synapse with FPC. or lnet, or Indy if we want to
use them in core technologies. We do not wish to choose.

So, for things which are considered core technologies, it is not possible to
rely on third-party packages. The components I created are intended for the
specific purposes of FPC (simple HTTP download and/or embedded web serving).

With these components, we do not wish to replace synapse, lnet or Indy.
They are full-blown TCP/IP suites, supporting many protocols and options.
If your needs are as simple as the ones we have, then you can use the
components we distribute by default. If you have more complex needs, you'll
have to use one of the external packages.

Michael.