[Lazarus] Why does Lazarus insist on rebuilding the LCL?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon May 23 14:49:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:55:29 +0200
Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>
> >> I used to be able to do a "build (clean) lcl" from within the IDE, now
> >> I cannot anymore.
> >
> > The LCL is now a normal package. It will be compiled automatically or
> > you can open the package and click "Compile".
>
> I just found a reason, why this feature is problematic. When I use
> specific modifications for building the IDE, in both the IDE and LCL
> code, these modifications are not always appropriate for other
> applications. Should I nowadays use different installations, for
> building the IDE and applications, with different build settings for all
> packages?

The LCL still has only one output directory per target platform
(OS+CPU+WidgetSet).
If you want to compile the LCL with various settings, you had and you
still have to
a) recompile it
b) use another copy of Lazarus

Nothing has changed about this.

> > Make sure you have the recent svn version and no local modifications.
>
> This is an option only for reporting bugs. Currently e.g. (Delphi
> compatible) docking is broken in the LCL, so that modifications are
> required for building the IDE and other applications.

Have you attached a test program to a bug report?

Mattias