[Lazarus] Web development and XML database (Mattias)

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:53:08 CET 2011

Hi

Mattias, you mentioned some time ago that you were busy with a new web
server project that uses XML database which will become an open source
project.
Could you please explain briefly what the "XML database" actually means.

This is interesting because often the DB queries are the slowest part of a
(web-)application.
I was discussing about PHP's performance and I was told it is not important
compared to DB query delays.
Unfortunately it is true, even if table indexes are done right.
You can save milliseconds by optimizing your code or using a compiled
language but who cares if the DB query takes one second.
Sites that have an extremely heavy load, like FaceBook, make an exception.
Then PHP starts to use too much CPU and memory resources.

I ask on this general list because it may be of interest to others, too.

Juha