[Lazarus] "Sort files alphabitically" is case-sensitive :-(

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Nov 15 11:40:32 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:43:11 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/11/2011, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Note: I myself prefer case insensitive sorting as well
>
> So Mattias stands alone then.   :-)
>
> This makes we wonder if Mattias shouldn't rethink his decision?
> Clearly most developers want case insensitive sorting in this case -
> simply because units to the compiler are case insensitive anyway.
>
> Mattias?
> I don't mind implementing alternative options, but it seems like a
> waist of effort, if everybody is going to pick "case insensitive
> sorting" anyway - irrespective of the platform being used.

You misunderstood me.
You asked if it was a bug or by design. It's not a bug to sort a
list of files using the CompareFilenames function. It would
be a bug if it would sort via CompareText or AnsiCompareText, because
of the OS X normalization.
Of course you often need another sorting and people prefer different
defaults. That's why I planned to add a few sort orders and store
the options in the project session, so everyone can choose their
preference. I simply had not yet the time to implement it.
That's why I kindly asked if you may want to help there.
Once a few sort orders are implemented, I agree that the default can be
case insensitive. IMO it would be a bug under Linux if the files can not
be sorted case sensitive.
If you don't have the time, please create a feature request and assign
it to me.

Mattias