[Lazarus] MDI implementation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:51:30 CET 2011

On 17/11/2011, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at g....> wrote:
> all tastes. There is no need to fight, people that prefer one or
> another way are free to develop the widgetsets which they prefer. And
> then each person can decide what to use:

And this I have been saying for years. The point is you simply can't
create a cross-platform GUI development framework using native
controls. There are just too many differences between each native
toolkit, thus your cross-platform GUI framework can only at best use
the common features. Seriously crippling your framework. This is why
Qt  (and Java Swing) implements its own widgets, but simply uses the
native widget theme engine to paint on a Qt canvas. fpGUI could easily
do the same in one of its themes (eg: the XP/Vista/Win7 theme - which
is planned already).

> And we have a unique feature, which I've never heard of a framework having:
>
> 3> The hability to mix native and non-native widgets, which is very
> powerful for my projects, for example see this:

Hardly unique. Delphi developers use many non-native widgets (Virtual
Treeview, Raize components, DevX components etc.) in there VCL
(native) applications.

Anyway, we were talking about MDI....

  - Graeme -