[Lazarus] Why you got to hate Visual Basic

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 11:49:23 CET 2011

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> This just confirms my thoughts that Visual Basic is such a "toy
> language", you can't do any real work in it! Lets rather stick to a real
> programming language like Object Pascal.

Visual Basic was and is an OLE wrapper, allowing to provide or make use
of OLE (COM, ActiveX) components without much coding. The same will be
much more complicated in other languages.

When VB3 came out, it nearly stopped Windows developement in any other
language, because it made everything so easy. Microsoft had to buy the
product (ThunderBasic IIRC) from its inventor, and crippled it with
every new version, just to encourage the use of their other languages.

I wrote many applications in VB3 myself, including the famous VB3
decompiler. On my Atari ST I also had written an C decompiler, in
GfA-Basic, what had been much more complicated with a compiled language.

IMO Basic still is a fine language, for certain tasks.

DoDi