[Lazarus] Initial value of BidiMode in RightToLeft system

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 19:36:55 CEST 2011

2011/10/11 Zaher Dirkey <parmaja at gmail.com>

> 2011/10/10 ik <idokan at gmail.com>

>>> ido, are you saying that delphi compiled english language apps that are
>>> executed on RTL systems will flip the english backwards and display it RTL
>>> instead of LTR???
>>>

>> As far as I understand, yes. I never tried it myself, or seen their code
>> for that.
>> There was a discussion at the forums or here at the malling list (I can
>> not find it) early this year about this subject.
>>
>> Ido
>>

> Hi Ido, I think this piece of code belong to you, i want to understand the
> original problem, maybe we can resolve it in another way.

Yes, it was mine (I can't find the original discussion about it though)

> LCLGetLanguageIDs(LangDefault, LangFallback);
>   if LangDefault <> '' then
>     FBidiMode := Direction(LangDefault)
>   else
>     FBidiMode := Direction(LangFallback);

It was made to make a Delphi compatible behavior, after Avishai at the
Lazarus forum, complained that it does not work the same at all, and
explained what should be done.
Also the default GTK behavior works the same, so if your locale is a right
to left language, even if you did not translated anything, it will mirror
everything.
Personally I think that the developer should choose, and not the system, but
it was to solve the comparability issues.

> Best Regards
> Zaher Dirkey

Ido