[Lazarus] Is win32 svn broken?

Gregory M. Turner gmt at malth.us
Wed Oct 12 21:22:34 CEST 2011

It was bone dry to start, I literally deleted c:\Lazarus and checked out trunk from svn.  Although it's been through quite a bit of thrashing since then, I'm reluctant to blow it away.  I have a 99.5% working cygwin-based *.chm build environment set up in there, for one thing.  I'll rm -rf at some point if I absolutely must -- but I ended up with this same disease last time I did so (that time, with a Win64 snapshot).

by way of saying this nicely:  Suppose we are building a housekeeping robot.  We build our first prototype, and it starts out working brilliantly.  But, somehow, by day three, all it does is stand in the corner and drive its robot body into the wall over and over.  Nobody can figure out what is causing the problem.  So we just scrap Prototype I and build MaidBot Prototype II using the latest code-base.  Everybody breathes a sigh of relief when Prototype II starts out doing its job correctly.  But by day three, it is once again unable to do anything but smash its head against the wall.

I know it's kind of lame for me to say so -- as unified diffs are more useful than bitching and complaining -- but obviously this strongly suggests that there is some heuristic being employed in the robot's code that lacks robustness in the face of the intended purpose of the robot itself.

I suppose, there is nevertheless some diagnostic value in my starting with a completely clean tree, yet again.  But assuming it works, and then breaks a third time, I think this amounts to more of a serious bug than a transient "configuration problem" and the correct way to deal with it would probably be to try to fix it rather than work around it.

-gmt