[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Oct 19 21:29:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On 10/19/11, Vincent Snijders <vincent.snijders at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess Felipe gave up waiting on a Unicode RTL for the time being and
>> goes for a full UTF8 pseudo RTL in LazUtils.
>
> Well, after a lot of discussion I got convinced that Lazarus should
> give a try at the UTF-8 mode of the RTL when this appears, and this
> might be very useful for our usage of TStringList, TComponent,
> TStream, etc. I think this solution has major problems, but it was
> claimed that my proposed solutions have much worse problems, so in the
> end I concluded that we should try the UTF-8 mode of the RTL when it
> appears.
>
> But this does not mean that LazUtils would not be useful then. My
> proposals to add UTF-8 routines to the RTL and even FCL were rejected,

Correction: Your proposals were not rejected.

No decision as to which character sets will be used in the basic RTL
has been taken. Any action you take now is therefor premature.

So it was suggested you would wait till things settle down till and
the final shape of things are more clear.

This really is not the same as 'rejected'.

Michael.