[Lazarus] cwstring in arm-linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 08:56:10 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-20 17:30, Luca Olivetti wrote:

> "Additionally, 16 bits is enough to cover the BMP, Basic Multilingual
> Plane, which encompasses the majority of today's most widely used
> languages. Only when you get to more advanced codepoints in some of the
> far-eastern languages, or are needing to encode dead languages such as
> Egyption hieroglyphics do you need more than 16 bits."

That is such a rubbish statement! More and more information is being
added outside the Unicode's BMP. Emoticons, Science and Maths symbols,
Map Symbols (often seen in GPS applications), Music notes etc etc. So
it's not just far-eastern or "dead" languages any more... Using the
Supplementary Plane of Unicode will become a lot more used in the near
future. So UTF-16's usage of surrogate pairs will become more common
place. And this is where UTF-8 will shine once again, because nothing
will need changing in the programmers code - selecting a BMP or
Supplementary code point is identical. Programmers using UTF-16 often
don't bother checking for surrogate pairs, treating UTF-16 like UCS2 -
BIG MISTAKE!  This is why I think UTF-8 is a much safer choice.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/