[Lazarus] TControl.IsParentShowHint

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Wed Oct 26 08:05:31 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 26 of October 2011 03:35:31 Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> This method looks as if it could be removed. A property ParentShowHint
> exists already, which does exactly the same.

This method is added because code from application.inc must access
parentshowhint from TControl, but it's protected there, so IsParentShowHint is
introduced. Look at issue http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=20518 .
While application calculating if hint should be shown or not it must take
ParentShowHint into account, otherwise you'll get next:
1.Form with 1 button.
2.Form.ShowHint = True
3.Button.ShowHint = False, Button.ParentShowHint = False
4.You'll get form hint over button.

I agree that it can be removed if other solution is proposed to work correct
(or if latest Juha patches are correct and that function isn't used).
I didn't want to change visibility of ParentShowHint in TControl, so added
IsParentShowHint.

zeljko