[Lazarus] Lazarus Portuguese translation situation

Paulo Costa paco at fe.up.pt
Thu Sep 1 20:45:55 CEST 2011

On 01/09/2011 07:07, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Ok, now we are progressing =)
>
> So I formed a proposal, let's see now what Marcelo and Paulo think
> about it. I ordered slashed words as to preserve the original gender,
> diminishing changes to nearby words (for example "da tela/ecrã")
>
> Only 4 words are proposed to be slashed.
>
> [English] - pt_BR - pt_PT - proposed solution
>
>   User - Usuario - Utilizador =>  Usuário/Utilizador
>   File - Arquivo - Ficheiro =>  Ficheiro/Arquivo
>   Mouse - Mouse - Rato =>  Rato/Mouse
>   Screen - Tela - Ecrã =>  Tela/Ecrã
>   Reset - Redifinir - Restaurar =>  Restaurar
>   breakpoint - ponto de parada - ponto de paragem =>  ponto de paragem
>   Load - Carregar - Abrir =>  Carregar
>   Save - Salvar - Guardar =>  Salvar
>   registers - registradores - registos =>  Registradores
>   policy - regra - política =>  Regra
>
> For other less used words I'm confident that we can reach agreements too.

If your proposal is feasible, it is progress indeed.

I have a few more problematic words:

sources - fontes - fontes (o/a)
Here the problem is the word used as a masculine word when it is
feminine word. (Note for non Portuguese speakers:  in Portuguese every
substantive is a he or a she and the rest of the phrase must reflect it...)
I think here the problem comes from the implicit "O "arquivo/ficheiro]
fonte" that becomes "o fonte" that sounds very strange.

link - Vincular - ???
Are you sure that the word "vincular" is commonly used in this context
in Brazil? Here we mostly use the English word. I tried to find an
alternate word by searching programing books here in Portuguese and got
three different possibilities: "fazer o link", "ligar", "consolidar".
Worse, a book from a Brazilian author used yet another word.

hint - dica - sugestão
In Portugal "dica" is slang. It can be understood but looks cheap.

show - exibir - mostrar
Just that "exibir" is somewhat stronger/active than "mostrar"

I've also found that middle button sometimes is used "botão central" and
then "botão do meio". No preference here.

There is also the difference from using the "gerúndio":
compiling - compilando - a compilar
running - correndo - a correr

but I think is acceptable for us Portuguese to maintain the "gerúndio" form.

Paulo Costa