[Lazarus] Single-stepping assembler

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 11:32:38 CEST 2011

Martin wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 21:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Couple of questions if I may: what's the on/off button for and is it
>> intentional that the order of the assembler buttons is reversed when
>> compared with the main IDE?
>>

> 1) you may :)
>
> 2) on/off
> A lot of debug windows have this. the button allows to disable the
> window.  It allows faster debugging without the need to close the windows.
> e.g. If you temporarilly do not need the asm, watches, or whatever, then
> you do not want the debugger spend time to get the info for you. You
> could close the window, or switch it off.
>
> It also allows you to freeze the current content, even if you stop
> debugging. So you still have the content for reference.
>
> Since it was added, some of the benefits are no longer relevant, due to
> other changes. For example, the debugger now stops fetching if, if you
> press F8 (or otherwhise run/step the app). So the speed gain is rather
> minimal. (you only have to wait for one gdb command to be finished (for
> asm that still can take a bit); before this you had to wait for all open
> windows to finish)

Thanks. I didn't see any obvious change in the button state (or text
colour etc.) so it wasn't clear what was going on.

> For preserving data (not asm though), there is a history window now,
> that allows to view the watches, locals, stack, threads, of previous
> breaks.

I noticed it had been added fairly recently, but I'd not explored since
it only showed up on a SPARC Solaris system which I'd had to update. In
general I'm trying to be fairly conservative about my FPC and Lazarus
versions- I've got enough problems as it is :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk