[Lazarus] Lazarus Portuguese translation situation

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:30:53 CEST 2011

2011/9/2 marcelo.bp <marcelo.bp at netsite.com.br>:
> This is somewhat difficult because, as i exposed in a previous post, all of
> us used to
> use english terms and usually try to create words that does not exist in our
> formal language.
> For example: “link” –> “lincar ou linkar”, “debug” –> “debugar” , etc.

In the University of São Paulo link was always translated like this:

to link -> ligar ou vincular
linking -> ligando ou vinculando
linker -> programa ligador
link (noun) -> ligação

See also: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligador

Similarly:

to assemble -> montar
assembler -> montador
assemble (noun) -> montagem

"linkar" is pretty nasty in that it does not obey basic portuguese
language rules. No words should contain k or w. On the other hand
"ligar" is ambiguous as it also means "to turn on"

> Other aspect is what the original word means within the context.
> So, what is the diferences between “show” and “display” for example.

I think that "show" is nearly the same as "display"

> Or “Load” and “Open”.

I think that Load is different from Open, although explaining seams hard.

> Someone said that is common to translate “Load” as “Abrir”; I disagree of
> that.

+1 it is "Carregar", unless "Load" is being used as "Open"

No on something completely different: I don't know why, but all of
your e-mails start new threads in my gmail instead of going to the
thread where it belongs. Do you change the subject before answering?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho