[Lazarus] MS Access file - is it 'accessible' concurrently ?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:51:15 CEST 2011

On 08/09/2011, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
>> If that is a factor for you, you might want to look at other
>> databases, such as Firebird (easy to run as embedded, too),
>> PostgreSQL, Oracle, or perhaps MySQL.
>
> Which one requires least setup/dependencies and has least steep learning
> curve ?

Firebird is the easiers and smallest by FAR! At it has many more
feature - at least compared to MySQL. So small doesn't mean less
features here.

A full Firebird Server download is a mere 8-12MB download. It can even
run on a Windows 98 system if you wanted, so resource using in minimal
too (obviously depending on how many concurrent connections you
handle). A client-only install is even smaller, but you can use the
same setup files, just select "client libraries only" during the
install.

Even installing Firebird from a tar.gz file on Linux (not via a distro
repository), it takes no more than 2 minutes to setup.

> I came across a program once, that is supposed to run the same on
> MySQL and on Postgres (and AFAIK it does), but could have a 3rd
> party module installed that only works correctly on MySQL...

We have tested our company applications on Firebird, MySql and
PostgreSQL. Our application behaved the same on all, though the
queries where quite a bit slower on PostgreSQL for some reason. So
maybe that 3rdParty component was rubbish. MySQL just sucks with all
it's limited features. MySQL is only popular because of marketing and
hype (eg: LAMP) - not because of features and stability.

  - Graeme -