[Lazarus] debug hint timing [[Re: TButton resizing is broken in Trunk's form designer]]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:10:23 CEST 2011

On 8 September 2011 16:42, Martin  wrote:

> What exactly do you mean "stay active" ?

See attached archive. There are three files. The two text files show
the output captured from the Debug Output window.

  test1.txt
    - Show value hint while debugging is unchecked
    - Automatic typecast for objects in unchecked

  test2.txt
    - Show value hint while debugging is checked
    - Automatic typecast for objects in checked

The Report.html file shows the difference between them. Hardly any
difference - not what I would have expected.

Also if "show value hint while debugging" is unchecked, shouldn't hint
debugging be totally disabled?

Maybe I'm not understanding somethig hear. Is so, please explain, as I
would really like to help where I can regarding Lazarus + Debugging.

> - Are the commands still send, if you disable the option?

Yes

> - Is just the slowness remaining ?

Slowless remains no matter what I have checked or unchecked. If I
mouse over any class instance (eg: Listbox1, MyObject, Sender etc....)
I have a 5-10 second delay before I see debug hint information.

> The 2nd email referred to executing by hand in gdb. Except for the
> difference between "p" and "-data-evaluate-expression" it (the 2nd) would
> mean that gdb can execute them quickly.

Yes, executing the commands shown in Debug Output window, but directly
inside GDB (not via Lazarus IDE), then the output of any of those
commands are instant. So the slowdown is somewhere in Lazarus IDE.

> But the 1st indicates, that the delay is between lazarus sending the
> command, and receiving the result. Meaning either gdb, or the communication
> channel (pipe).

It goes like this.
  - I hover the mouse over Listbox1 in the source code.
  - Debug Output window shows a command being sent to GDB
  - 5-10 seconds latter I see the Debug Output window populated with
lots of data
  - 2-3 seconds later I see the Hint window appear in Lazarus source editor.

As I said, this now happens, no matter if the two checkbox options
(listed above) are checked or not. This makes debugging unworkable in
Lazarus Trunk (at least for me).

> Maybe you can recompile with the following defines:
> DBG_VERBOSE
> and optional DBGMI_QUEUE_DEBUG
>
> Then start lazarus from console, gdb communications (long lines shortened in
> the middle) and some other info will be printed. the communications will be
> printed to console (immediately when received)

It's end of the day here, but I'll try this first thing tomorrow morning.

> If it is communciations, then of course it could be how lazarus reads the
> pipes => but that code has not changed, so not likely.

I'll checkout an older version of Lazarus Trunk tomorrow and see if
this slowdown is a recent issue, or something else that has gone
unnoticed.

Thanks for your patience. :)

  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net