[Lazarus] MS Access file - is it 'accessible' concurrently ?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 21:47:17 CEST 2011

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 11:51, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Firebird is the easiers and smallest by FAR! At it has many more
>> feature - at least compared to MySQL. So small doesn't mean less
>> features here.
>>
>> A full Firebird Server download is a mere 8-12MB download. It can
>> even run on a Windows 98 system if you wanted, so resource using in
>> minimal too (obviously depending on how many concurrent connections
>> you handle). A client-only install is even smaller, but you can use
>> the same setup files, just select "client libraries only" during the
>> install.
>>
> That's cool.
>
>> Even installing Firebird from a tar.gz file on Linux (not via a
>> distro repository), it takes no more than 2 minutes to setup.
>
> I use Windows (blush) XP 32 bit and Lazarus 0.9.28.2...
> (which is an improvement since the original system is written in VC++ 6.0)
>
> Oh well, something to think about when time comes to integrate this,
> for now it's nowhere near that stage, yet.
>
> [...]
>> We have tested our company applications on Firebird, MySql and
>> PostgreSQL. Our application behaved the same on all, though the
>> queries where quite a bit slower on PostgreSQL for some reason. So
>> maybe that 3rdParty component was rubbish. MySQL just sucks with all
>> it's limited features. MySQL is only popular because of marketing
>> and hype (eg: LAMP) - not because of features and stability.
>>
> Yeah, heard that too.
>
> and just when I thought all's jolly good,
>
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> But which variant of Firebird? If I recall correctly there are three,
>> I was prodding at it a bit a few months ago and came to the
>> conclusion that Firebird classic might be a viable alternative to
>> PostgreSQL since it provided an equivalent to the listen/notify
>> commands.
>
> :)

Not, I must stress, that I've got any intention of abandoning Postgres.
However, I've got something lined up that could benefit from multiple
layers of database where having asynchronous notifications is essential,
so I was very interested to find that Firebird could possibly be used as
a lighter-weight alternative for the "middleware".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk