[Lazarus] debug hints in lazarus [Re: [fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)]

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:07:43 CEST 2011

On 13/09/2011 00:12, Martin wrote:
> I do not recall having ever had an issue with globals, nor local vars.

Nope, the problem is still there... just as when I tested it back in
2008-2009.

  http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/~graemeg/gdb_issues_with_fpc.png

This exact same code works perfectly in Delphi 7 and Kylix 3. Above is
an old screenshot, but I just tested with latest Lazarus Trunk and GDB
7.3 - nothing has changed.

And yes, I know in FPC it is an absolute variable, but it is a global
variable to the developer none the less.

I agree with Dodi, 95% of the things I try and debug I simply get 'No
symble in current context". Thus making GDB rather useless for my code.
Oh, and ALL my code is done via OOP, so inspecting properties of a class
is vital.

And yes the "inspecting properties could change data" is a moot point.
Delphi allows it, and NOBODY complains about the possible data change
issue. The pros far outweigh the cons. We are programmers, we should
know what is "dangerous" or not - but it should be our choice to use
such "dangerous" features.

I also agree, that being able to read the field variable value via the
property name would already be a huge improvement. NOTE: I mentioned
here "via property name", not field name, because often I don't know
what the field name is, especially if you have a large hierarchy of objects.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/